The always delightful and amazing Nyankoto has nominated us for the Leibster Award. If you don’t know what that is, don’t worry, I didn’t either, but it is a chance for new, smaller blogs to get a little exposure. I can’t say thank you enough for this opportunity to tell people more about us!
The official information can be found here.
How does this work? Easy, first you provide 11 random facts about yourself, then answer 11 questions posed by the one nominating you, and finally you nominate others and they answer the questions you ask. Everyone wins. I have now found some really awesome blogs to follow by going through the list that Nyankoto nominated.
11 random facts about me: (I will be answering as Heather aka asylumfarm)
1) I have been a fan of m/m romance before I knew it had a name and other fans. I spent years thinking I was a freak.
2) I started out as a fan-fiction writer in the Lord of the Rings fandom.
3) I have an identical twin who is NOT into yaoi as far as I know, though she is an anthropologist and will put up with me talking about it since it is an interesting sub-culture to her.
4) I am an American from the rural south. (Idun is Danish)
5) Idun and I have been writing together for over a decade now.
6) I am a little bit older than a lot of fujoshi, I turned 40 last year.
7) My day job is in engineering, but I was a theater major.
8) I have traveled to Ireland and Denmark twice now.
9) I have 3 dogs and 3 cats, and they are all bats. That is how I got the name AsylumFarm.
10) The first yaoi I ever read was Finder No Hyouteki, and it is still one of my favorites.
11) I accidentally co-wrote my first m/m romance in high school. I didn’t mean for it to be obvious, but the first person to read it picked up on it right away and commented on how we had given the two main males characters too much sexual tension. I hsould have known.
Questions from Nyankoto:
1. Have you ever read yaoi manga or watched yaoi anime? If so, what did you think? If not, what’s stopping you?
I LOVE yaoi manga and also enjoy yaoi anime. I am not as big on videos just because I am not big on videos, I am more of a reader. I have been hooked on yaoi ever since I fist read Finder No Hyouteki way back in the early 2000’s. (It was before I moved back to Arkansas so it was before 2004.)
2. If you could adopt a fictional or fantasy animal, what would it be and why?
It would have to be something that would not eat my dogs or cats. Of course, since it is fantasy I guess that would not be a problem. Probably a kitsune (the Inari kind not the yako). A wise and adorable spirit creature. Though it may be more trouble than anything else.
3. What’s your all time favorite anime? If you don’t watch anime, you can give a movie or tv show, I guess (or, even better, go out and watch some anime before coming back to answer this question 🙂 )
Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler)! It isn’t yaoi, but I really do enjoy it.
4. If you could have your superpower of choice, what would you pick?
Trick question! All super powers have a flip side. Precognition always seems to come with the curse of cassandra. Super strength comes with super destruction. I would NOT want to read minds. I know what is in mine and do not need to know what is in most people’s. Maybe talking to/understanding animals would not be too dangerous, though I know my cats are only thinking about the next time I am going to feed them.
5. What family member are you closest to, and why?
My twin sister.
6. Are you working towards a goal that’s important to you? What is it? If not, do you have one in mind that you have plans for in the future?
I’m always working toward something. 🙂 Right now I am recovering from some surgery and want to really get into good shape once I am healed, but more importantly I want to become a better writer and I know that takes a lot of work.
7. What do you like about blogging?
I’m really still learning, the whole thing is really still pretty new, crazy to think that 10 years ago I had never even heard the word blog, I don’t think it even existed. the best part to me is finding people who have the same interests as I do. There is always something new and interesting to find out there and maybe I have something to say that someone else would find interesting. It might happen. 😉
8. What do you dislike about blogging?
I get paranoid that I have nothing of value to add and am simply exercising a form of narcissism by thinking anyone wants to read what I am thinking.
9. What is your favorite type of post to write (you can reference a specific post or two as examples, if ya like)?
Stories and story prompts. I really enjoyed the 30 days challenge I did last year, having the blog really helped me keep on track and not slack off.
10. If you could pick one person in the world to read and enjoy your blog, who would it be?
One person. Oh wow. One of my favorite authors, like Sarah Monette would be really awesome. The have someone you admire so much read something you did and enjoy it would be amazing. Though to be honest, I am just pleased when anyone likes it.
11. What’s the most important thing to you?
The most important thing in the world to me is my 18 month old nephew. Nothing else compares.
11 Questions from me:
1) What is your favorite genera to read?
2)Who is your favorite author/mangaka?
3) If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?
4) Are you a traveler? If so, what is the furthest you have traveled from home and where do you want to go next?
5) Do you believe in ghost/spirits? Have you ever seen one?
6) The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What do you do first?
7) What story or movie has affected you the most?
8) Who do you look up to?
9) What is your favorite thing to eat?
10) Do you have any phobias?
11) What is you favorite game (card game, board game, computer game)? (Mine is Cards Against Humanity)
Who do I nominate?